November 14, 2008

Brian Kelly and Bruce Pearl

Very interesting article on Coach Brian Kelly in the Knoxville News yesterday. The Bruce Pearl comparisons are actually fairly accurate. This blurb stuck out to me.

I talked to a couple of media-types who deal with Kelly. They both rave about the guy - and not just for his coaching. They give him high marks for his media accessibility and for his promotional skills. One of them said a businessman who heard Kelly speak described the experience as "electric."

Tennessee doesn't have the in-state talent that Florida and Georgia gets, so they need a Brian Kelly type coach who is willing to put himself out there and sell that program. When Tennessee gets this guy this offseason, there may be some very nervous folks in Athens and Gainesville over the next couple years.

If the the Vols land Kelly, I'm hopping on their bandwagon as my new SEC team.

4 comments:

Kenny said...

Oh no! Tennessee?? You can't root for them. They could hire Vince Suriano and I still wouldn't root for them.

Doug said...

Rocky Top

Wish that I was on ol' Rocky Top
Down in the Tennessee hills
Aint' no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top
Ain't no telephone bills
Once I had a girl on Rocky Top
Half bear, other half cat
Wild as a mink,
but sweet as soda pop
I still dream about that.

Rocky Top you'll always be
Home sweet home to me
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee,
Rocky Top Tennessee

Once two strangers climbed ol' Rocky Top
Lookin' for a moonshine still
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top
Reckon they never will

Rocky Top you'll always be
Home sweet home to me
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee,
Rocky Top Tennessee

Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top
Dirt's too rocky by far
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top
Get their corn from a jar

Rocky Top you'll always be
Home sweet home to me
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee,
Rocky Top Tennessee

I've had years of cramped-up city life
Trapped like a duck in a pen
All I know is it's a pity life
Can't be simple again

Rocky Top you'll always be
Home sweet home to me
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee,
Rocky Top Tennessee

Beautiful Tennessee

Doug said...

What's wrong with the Vols?? We need an explanation on the record. I have no beef with them other than the excessively large lettering that they used to have on the back of the jerseys for guys with short last names like Terry Fair and Peerless Price and Leonard Little. The "F" in Fair was like a foot wide.

Things I like about Tennessee:

-Neyland Stadium
-Rocky Top
-The orange and white checkered end zones (As you know, even Anderson High School adopted those end zones for awhile)
-Tee Martin
-They play in the SEC
-Vince Suriano worshipped at the altar of Tennessee football
-Jason Druso was allegedly being recruited by them (even though he ended up at a MAC school)


Things I don't like about Tennessee:

-Ok, I'll admit that I wasn't a real big fan of this guy when he was playing for the Vols (although I've grown to like him).
http://z.about.com/d/football/1/0/2/P/PeytonManning4a.jpg
-Heath Shuler
-Carl Pickens

Throw in the possibility that they might be on the verge of hiring the best young coach in college football not named Urban Meyer, and that's a pretty good start for me to "adopt" the Tennessee Volunteers as my official SEC team in the next couple years.

Doug said...

By the way, the lyrics to "Rocky Top" are bizarre. Some of the strangest things ever put down on paper.

"half bear, the other half cat"

Red State America, everyone! Can't wait for that Sarah Palin nomination in 2012. UGH.