December 30, 2008

Georgetown is LEGIT

Color me impressed with Georgetown last night. They completely dominated UConn on the road. I know the consensus was that Georgetown would be rebuilding this year, but I don't see that at all. As far as I'm concerned, Georgetown is still the team to beat in the Big East. They are becoming the Atlanta Braves of the Big East. It doesn't matter who is on their roster. They just reload and win.

Greg Monroe is a stud. I'm pretty sure Jay Bilas would have his babies, but I can see why Bilas loves him. I really like how he plays. I can't believe how polished Monroe is for a true freshman. He shoots well, he passes well, he's an intelligent player, he's 6'10 with big time size, he can move, and he's very unselfish. I thought he was the best player on the floor last night. Why isn't Monroe being discussed as a top 5 NBA pick?? Did he already indicate that he is going to stay at Georgetown for a few years??

The Hoyas also seem to have their usual group of quality wing players and a pretty good point guard in Chris Wright. I really like how Georgetown plays, and John Thompson is an exceptional coach. With their system, they just plug guys in who can play that style.

As for UConn, yesterday only confirms what I have felt about them all year. They are the most overrated team in college basketball and the most overrated team in the Big East by far. I don't even know that UConn is one of the top 5 teams in the Big East this year. They have so many overrated and bad attitude type guys who don't play well as a team, and Hasheem Thabeet is the most overrated player in the league. I don't see it with UConn. I didn't buy into them last year, and I don't really see what the fuss is with them this year. You have to play as a team to win in college basketball, and they have a lot of "me guys."

For now, I'd probably rank Georgetown as the team to beat in the Big East with Pitt nipping at their heels and then teams like Louisville, Notre Dame, Syracuse, UConn, and maybe even West Virginia bunched in behind them. That obviously could change in a hurry, but that's how I'd stack them up for now.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Couldn't agree more with you about UConn. That team is a first or second round NCAA upset waiting to happen.

Chad Ford has Greg Monroe I believe 6th on his draft board. He completely embarrassed Thabeet. Once you get past the blocked shots, there literally is nothing to Thabeet. He hasn't gotten better at all since he stepped on campus. At this point, he's a homeless man's Dikembe Mutombo. And we're talking the current 42 year old Mutombo, not the in his prime, finger wagging Mutombo.