January 06, 2009

GMAC Bowl -- Ball State (12-1) vs. Tulsa (10-3) (Land-Peebles Stadium Mobile, Alabama January 6, 2009 8pm ESPN)

Tie Ins: CUSA vs. MAC

Matt: Tulsa +1.5

I think that Nate Davis could be the next MAC QB to make it in the NFL. And I think that Ball State is the more talented team. But a combination of their coach jumping ship and losing the MAC Championship has me picking against them. If they were still going for a perfect season, I could definitely see them getting motivated for this one. But instead of playing Boise or TCU as was talked about earlier with a perfect season on the line, they are in the GMAC Bowl. Tulsa averages 565 yards and 47 points a game and this one should definitely be a shootout.

By the way, good hire by Gene Chizik of Gus Malzahn as offensive coordinator. Tulsa led the country in offense last year and is second this year. And contrary to what many think (me included), they actually run the ball in the spread, to the tune of 255 yards per game (8th in the country). I would have loved to see ND go after him as their offensive coordinator to be honest.

Tulsa 54 Ball State 51

Mike: Ball State –2.5

I would like to offer a belated thank you to the Buffalo Bulls for sparing us from having to hear stories about how an undefeated Ball State “deserves” a shot at the big boys. Brady Hoke has already decided to leave Muncie for sunny San Diego and his counterpart, Todd Graham of Tulsa, may not be around to coach the Golden Hurricane in next year’s bowl. Maybe Graham can get the Auburn job if Gene Chizik gets fired.

Ball State 31 Tulsa 24

Doug: Tulsa +2.5

As much as I would love to drum up 3000 words on the GMAC Bowl, my heart isn't in it for this game. The MAC has been abysmal in bowl games this year and may have finally reached the point where they can no longer compete with southern schools. Demographics are catching up with the MAC in a bad way. Give me Tulsa in a rout.

Tulsa 30 Ball State 10

No comments: